1 cup flour
½ cup brown sugar
7 ounces of butter, room temperature
½ cup muesli or rolled oats
2 apples, granny smith
¼ cup white sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 360 degrees F/180 degrees C.
- Put the flour in a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and the butter (keep 1 teaspoon for later use).
- Rub the butter into the flour using your fingertips, until the mixture resemble breadcrumbs.
- Add the muesli or the rolled oats and continue mixing the ingredients. Set the mixture aside.
- Cut one apple into medium cubes. Shred the second apple. Cut the pear into medium cubes.
- Melt the remaining butter in a skillet and cook the shredded apple for 1 minute.
- Add the apple and pear cubes and mix.
- Add the white sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder, mix them in and continue cooking.
- Grate the lemon zest and squeeze its juice.
- Add the vanilla extract and dried cranberries and cook further just until the flavors combine and the apple start to soften, without being mushy.
- Add the apple mixture in a tart baking dish.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture on top, and spread it in an even layer.
- Sprinkle cinnamon all over the crumble.
- Bake it for 25 minutes.
- If you want, serve the apple crumble with ice cream as an extra sweet addition.