Ingredients Needed for Almond Chocolate Swirls
For the dough:
8 ounces of butter
⅔ cup sugar
1 teaspoon cardamom powder
⅓ cup greek yogurt
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 ½ cups of milk
2 teaspoons of active dry yeast
¾ cup almond flour
2 ½ cups of flour
For the filling:
½ cup almond flakes
⅔ cup dark chocolate, crushed
1 teaspoon ginger powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1 chili, minced
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 teaspoon nutmeg powder
1 whisked egg for glazing
2 tablespoons of cocoa nibs for garnishing
How to Cook Almond Chocolate Swirls
- Add the butter, sugar, and cardamom powder to the dough mixer bowl. Season with salt and start mixing.
- Gradually add the yogurt, orange zest, milk, dry yeast, and almond flour while mixing. Spoon by spoon, add the flour in the process.
- Mix until you have a dough. Cover the bowl with a towel and let it sit for 60 minutes.
- Add the almond flakes, dark chocolate, ginger powder, cinnamon powder, chili, cocoa powder, and nutmeg powder to a bowl. Mix until even using a spatula or a tablespoon. Set aside.
- Dust the work surface and the dough with some flour to prevent it from sticking. You may want to cut the big lump of dough in two smaller pieces and handle each one separately.
- Flatten each dough using the rolling pin. Divide the almond and chocolate mixture between them and spread it evenly leaving a free 1 – 2 inches area from the edge.
- Roll, then cut into 1-inch thick slices. We’ve got 20 of them. Transfer them to a roomy baking dish.
- Coat with whisked egg and top with cocoa nibs. Bake for 45 minutes at 360⁰F/180⁰C.