Few foods are more iconic on the streets of Los Angeles than the street dog. Griddle cooked, loaded with onions and peppers, and wrapped in bacon, they're ubiquitous fare for Angelenos heading home from major events. Slap on some ketchup, mustard, and mayo, and you have a messy but delicious meal.
What happens when you take all of those components and translate them from a hot dog bun to a base of cheesy pizza? Turns out, the results are just as satisfying and crave-worthy as the original.
Below is the recipe to make this scrumptious amalgamation between hot dog and pizza.
- 1 448 gram ball of NY style pizza dough (~1 pound)
Mayo Pizza Sauce
- 1 cup mayo
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 pack of hot dogs
- 1 white onion
- 3-4 whole jalapeño peppers
- 4 strips bacon
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ketchup and mustard for garnish
1. Toss a pizza stone in your oven and preheat to 550°F, or as hot as it will go if it doesn't get to that temperature.
2. Cut hot dogs into thin rounds and set aside.
3. Thinly slice onions and jalapeños, then fry until softened and the onions are translucent.
4. Fry the slices of bacon until crispy. Drain and cut into bite-sized pieces.
5. Combine mayo and heavy cream in a bowl to make your pizza sauce.
6. Stretch out the pizza dough. Layer on the sauce, then mozzarella cheese.
7. Scatter on peppers, onions, bacon bits, and hot dog slices.
8. Bake your pizza on the pizza stone until the cheese is bubbling and the bottom is crispy, should take about 5 minutes.
9. Remove from the oven and garnish with swirled drizzles of ketchup and mustard.
10. Cut into 8 slices and dig in!