Ingredients Needed for Poached Eggs With Couscous and Asparagus
4 teaspoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
25-30 asparagus stalks
10 ounces couscous
4 teaspoons vinegar
4 egg yolks
⅓ cup melted butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice
How to Make Poached Eggs With Couscous and Asparagus
- Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a pan over low heat and add the garlic. Cook and stir until tender.
- Add the asparagus, cover with the lid, and cook for 6-8 minutes.
- Add the couscous to a stainless steel mixing bowl, pour 1/2 cup of water over it and shortly mix using your hands to infuse the grains. Set aside for 5 minutes until the water is absorbed.
- Fill a cooking pot halfway with water and bring it to a boil.
- Place the couscous bowl on top, season with salt, and drizzle with the remaining olive oil.
- Cook and stir for 10-12 minutes.
- Fill a pot halfway with water, add 2 teaspoons of vinegar, and poach the 4 eggs. Set them aside.
- Fill a pot halfway with water and bring it to a simmer. Place a heat-proof bowl on top and add the egg yolks. Beat them using a whisk while bain-marie them.
- Add the remaining vinegar and whisk it in. Do the same with the melted butter. Season with salt and pepper in the process.
- Remove the bowl from the bain-marie, add the lemon juice and whisk it in.
- Serve the couscous on a bed of asparagus, top with poached eggs, and season with yolk sauce.
This vegetarian dish has it all. You’ll have to poach a few eggs, steam some couscous, saute asparagus, and prepare an egg yolk sauce. It is not an easy recipe, so beware. You’ll need some patience and attention when following the steps.